Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The IKEA Bike

A Schwinn Breeze Transformed



This bike was a fun design exercise. It was the first bike I completely repainted.

Originally it came from the Bike Hut so it was in good mechanical shape, but the paint was in bad shape.


The yellow grips were authentic, purchased new from Ebay. Those grips and the new women's seat truly finished the project. 


I thought I was finished with the project at this point, but I just could not sell it. Notice the original seat and grips are still on the bike.



I believe that the fabric of the bike should be respected and you should use as many orginial and/or authentic parts as possible. Unfortunately the cleaned up grips and seat were ugly.



The bike came to me intact, but the paint was in very bad shape. I was just going to paint it yellow, but my wife suggested making it more interesting. She was also the first person to call it the IKEA bike.


I traded the revamped Blue Schwinn Breeze for this Yellow Schwinn Breeze and the promise of future payment.

No comments:

Post a Comment